What are you reading now?

617 replies [Last post]
JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture
Re: What are you reading now?

Deep Black wrote:

Have you listened to any of that Iain (M) Banks yet?

Not yet, but its getting near Smiling

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Finished Logicomix
Now reading some more from Dangerous Visions
Still got A Spell for Chamelion on the go too

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

Just finishing up one of three RR books I have yet to read “The Dance of the Voodoo handbag” and I must say I LOVE it, best bar fight scene ever! Laughing out loud

Lined up are:
Halting State by Charles Stross
Dancing Jax by Robin Jarvis
and
Rivers of London by Ben AAronovitch

On Audio:

The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
Consider Phlebas - Iain M. Banks (both as recommended by DB)

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture

Deep Black wrote:

Finished Logicomix

Ditto - really interesting read implemented in comic form - there was a question on University Challenge this week to which the answer was Bertrand Russell, I actally understood the question and got it right as result of reading this book. Anyone who says comics are all about spandex and for adolescent boys should try this book.....

JD and Coke wrote:

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

Finished that a couple of weeks back, really enjoyable romp with some clever ideas regarding urban / city magic.

Currently working my way through the Harry Dresden books, finished book one "Storm Front" and half-way into "Fool Moon". Picked these up as a recommendation via Sprout member and SFX blogger Stacey and finding them every bit as good as she said.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne

reddragon70
reddragon70's picture

JD, Halting State is a damned fun book with a rather intriguing twist at the end. It does help if, like me, you have played a lot of MMO PC games or are just a computer geek in general. But Its not required, as its just a damned good adventure romp.

Myself I am reading Iron Council by China Mieville. Finding it a bit of a struggle to be honest, which is a shame cos usually I adore his books. Perdido Street Station remains one of my top ten reads, especially for all the steam punkery involved in it.
Quite fancy giving Rivers Of London a bash. Heard a lot of really good things about it. Though it may have to wait til I have read Surface Detail by Iain M Banks. Just love the Culture novels.

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

reddragon70 wrote:

It does help if, like me, you have played a lot of MMO PC games or are just a computer geek in general.  

I must admit I had to look up MMO on Google, I am a massive fan of FPS online games (not so much WoW but I have never played it, although a friend keeps threatening to buy it for me!) as for computer geek, I guess I do have my moments.  I have put the book on a back burner as somehow I got started on:

Expecting Someone Taller by Tom Holt

But it’s still in the mix to get at soon.  Cheers for the reply, looking forward to reading it more now. Smiling

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

I did enjoy that one it was his first, the next two are:
Who's Afraid of Beowulf
Flying Dutch - it's the story about the Marie Celeste and why the crew come ashore once every 7 years.

Just finished listening to Neil's Japanese Fairy tales. 

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Read, Expecting Someone Taller a while back, pretty good.

Quote:
Though it may have to wait til I have read Surface Detail by Iain M Banks. Just love the Culture novels.

It's his best for a while imo

Bryanp1973

I have started Iron Council  by China Miéville twice and keep getting confused as to what is going on and who is who, never had this problem with a book before, perhaps it's not an early morning commuting book and more one for the beach/pool/garden where it can get more attention, pity as it seems to be quite a clever story and i'm sure I'll give it another go, reading "The Radleys" by Matt Haig which is a fun take on the vampire concept.