What are you reading now?

617 replies [Last post]
Dints 216
Dints 216's picture
Re: What are you reading now?

Ive picked up songs of the dieing earth but havnt got round to looking at it yet, do you know if its worth a looksee ? x

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

Dying Earth is a good book, short stories clasics.
The Dying Earth is a collection of fantasy short fiction by Jack Vance, published by Hillman in 1950. Vance returned to the setting in 1965 and thereafter, making it the first book in the Dying Earth series. It is retitled Mazirian the Magician in its Vance Integral Edition (2005),[1] after the second of six collected stories.
The Internet Speculative Fiction Database calls it a "slightly connected series of stories" but it was ranked number 16 of 33 "All Time Best Fantasy Novels" by Locus in 1987, based on a poll of subscribers.[1]
Similarly, it was one of five finalists for the Best Novel "Retro Hugo" in 2001[1] when the World Science Fiction Society provided 50th anniversary recognition for a publication year without Hugo Awards.

JRawly
JRawly's picture

I've just finished "Natural Causes" by James Oswald that I obtained free from WHSmith thanks to O2. It was a good read and I recommend it. 

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

World War Z by Max Brooks

Uncle Nick

The Automata Wars Vol 2: Front Line, by LM Cooke.

Croydon Robert

Deep Black wrote:

World War Z by Max Brooks

I haven't read it but I've heard that it is so completely different to the film that it hard to even compare them. Your opinion?

Uncle Nick

If the second half of the book is a different genre, and printed in a different font on differently sized pages... then it's a pretty good comparison Eye-wink

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Yeah, I'd heard the film as very little to do with the book
I've also seem some decent reviews of both book & film.
I always like to read a book 1st if possible.
I'm about 1/3 of the way through & I can see from the trailers that the film is a very different Zombie indeed

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

Well it was Brad saves the World, not as much gore as I thought it would be but the film was just OK. 

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

What are you listening to right now?

Different forum maybe but here is mine, I’ve been lucky enough in my life to obtain a Technics 1210 MK2 (look it up Mr Black!) and am again lucky enough to have the 1979 radio program of THHGTTG and part 2 Restaurant at the End of the Universe...so what are you listening to right now?