What are you reading now?

617 replies [Last post]
Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Re: What are you reading now?

I really enjoyed Making History.

I'm not sure it was even written as a comedy. Certainly it's a lot better if you're not expecting it to be funny

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

No mention of comedy on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_History_(novel)

Croydon Robert

Deep Black wrote:

No mention of comedy on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_History_(novel)

Fairy Nuff.

But the cover of the copy I had (but have just dumped at the local charity shop) includes various indications that it is a comedy including: "A sci-fi comedy that is also a time-travel thriller" written on the back cover. Which is both inaccurate and a spoiler at the same time.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Ahhh never believe the tag lines, I'm not sure Robert Rankin is really one of the few people who can always make Terry Pratchett laugh Smiling

Croydon Robert

Deep Black wrote:

Ahhh never believe the tag lines, I'm not sure Robert Rankin is really one of the few people who can always make Terry Pratchett laugh Smiling

I've told this story before (and probably written it on this forum before) but I first read RR because TP, being interviewed by Neil G, was asked by a twat in the audience where he gets his ideas from, and he said "Robert Rankin, go and read the Brentford trilogy by RR." So I did. And then I was there on the day that they first met at InCon and, erm, got on so jolly well. So I'm sure that TP gave that quote way back in the early days and meant it.

Jockney
Jockney's picture

Got chatting to a work colleaguey type fellow today about books and I name dropped RR into the conversation, as was my want. It led me to downloading "The Book of Ultimate Truths" as the best way of demonstrating Robert's writing style. As a reward for my £4-ish comittment to Amazon, we now have a new convert into Rankin-dom and I'm merrily re-reading one of my favourites. :-) 

One happy Jockney.  

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Finished listening to I, Partridge (we need to talk about Alan)
Afterliff by John Lloyd
Read The Chickens of Atlantis and Other Foul and Filthy Fiends by Mr Rankin
& Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Now on Drunkard's Walk by Frederik Pohl (RIP)

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

Listening to Christopher Moore “Lamb” at the mo, but right now at this minute I listening to Peggy Lee and Ella Fitzgerald “Pete Kelly’s Blues” great great stuff Smiling

Scooby (not verified)

Right now I am listening to the Brentford Triangle, having just finished the Chicken of Atlantis. Now starting the Steampunk Detective by Darrell Pitt.