What are you reading now?

617 replies [Last post]
GrandmasterP
Re: What are you reading now?

Gave up on Ulysses Quicksilver, too descriptive of kit and the print hurt my eyes.
Armageddon the Musical on the go now then DaDa de Dada code, after that Choc Bunnies and, as far as I know; that'll be the lot read.
No idea what to go for post-Rankin, he's rather spoiled me for fiction.
You get used to laughing.
have ordered a Discordian trilogy, forget what though.
Be a nice surprise when it arrives.

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

GrandmasterP wrote:
No idea what to go for post-Rankin, he's rather spoiled me for fiction.

I could give you a list however I think it is more of an individual thing because of the authors writing styles. So I would like (at a starting point) to recommend Incompetence by Rob Grant.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Incompetence is good, though I prefered Colony

Dints 216
Dints 216's picture

momenteraly im reading. Bad Boys, Bad Men, confronting antisocial personality disorder by Donald w. black M.D.
(i really am reading it)
Plus Waiting for godalming as ive not read that for awhile.
Hallo everyone, im Dints 216, the grandmaster may remember signing a book to me recently just to 216, it was nicely done so thank you very much. its my 1st post so be gentle with me.
Im not a rankin virgin as i got broken into mr rankins works while roaming my local libary around 2000 ? or there abouts. maybe. i dont mean one of the book was inserted into my anus while walking around in there ! i was looking for something to read that looked good from the books cover and i think it was snuff fiction that i found, after that i was hooked. again there wasnt drug dealers hanging around inside my local libary. oh no. there out round the back.  anyway i loose track easily.  ive every rankin book 1st ed/1st imp HB and PBs all the various covers, afew proofs, afew signed, exports, badges, posters etc etc plus a every book in a well read paperback again just for my personal reading requirements.
ive never travelled down to the big city and stayed up north in manchester so never been to any book signings or get togethers you city boys seem to be into. you never know one day i may put on my walking book and jump on a train to one of them.
Nice to be aboard the boat.
ATB Damian216 x    

Uncle Nick

Dints 216 wrote:
i dont mean one of the book was inserted into my anus while walking around in there !
You might have to change your library to get that service - I believe that they offer it at Alliance Francaise? Eye-wink
Quote:
ive never travelled down to the big city and stayed up north in manchester so never been to any book signings or get togethers you city boys seem to be into. you never know one day i may put on my walking book and jump on a train to one of them.

If I may just pimp someone else's event here, which may be of interest:

Lily of HooDoo events, on Brass Goggles wrote:
The next Leeds Steampunk Market is at Leftbank on Cardigan Road in Leeds, West Yorkshire. Sat and Sun 9th and 10th March 2013. On from 12-6 both days, different traders each day with only a small amount doing both. It is now a curated event so they are handpicking the absolute best to make it look amazing. There is a website now as well www.leedssteampunkmarket.co.uk    so if you want to be considered to trade then get in touch.Robert Rankin is already confirmed for both days..... Lily

And I've recently read "The Iron Wyrm Affair" by Lillith Saintcrow - which was OK, but I'm left wondering how you can get interesting character progression in future books out of someone who's already a supernatural/magical powerhouse? (cf comic-strip Superman where they had to reboot him after upping his powers waaaay too far)

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Hi there 216, where was the book signing?

I'm not as far north as you, but Robert doesn't seem to have come my way for a while now.

Dints 216
Dints 216's picture

Hola deep black, do you meen where i got my fancy 216 signature from mr rankin ?
I bought a copy of EMPIRES off ebay. i believe it was sold by a member of his family or such. do you know if this is true ?
the last time mr rankin was signing books in mancahester he had bleach blond hair, it was many many moons ago but im sure he was holding a drill in the flyer that advertised the event at waterstones. i had to miss that as i was otherwise engaged at the time of the signing (please dont ask) i must say ive yet to find another rankin reader in my area. maybe its something in the water i dont know. either that or im special in my village.
I would of replied to you sooner but ive been out today and ended up watching d'ango unchained. lets leave it at that shall we.
ATB Damian216 x

JRawly
JRawly's picture

Dints 216 wrote:

i must say ive yet to find another rankin reader in my area. 

I'm probably not exactly from your area, but I am in Manchester, so you are not alone up here Smiling

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Quote:
i believe it was sold by a member of his family or such. do you know if this is true ?
I've no idea about your book but Rachel (his wife) is a keen seller of them as far as I know...
Quote:
it was many many moons ago but im sure he was holding a drill in the flyer that advertised the event at waterstones

Back cover of The Witches of Chiswick, 2003:

GrandmasterP

Ta.
I'll give that a looksee.