What are you reading now?

616 replies [Last post]
JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture
Offline
Member
Joined: 10 Apr 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

chub wrote:
JD and Coke wrote:
Jasper Fforde - Shades of Grey

Is that a new one? Which series does it follow Thursday next or Jack Spratt

2009 book see: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/jasper-fforde/shades-of-grey.htm

This is my first Jasper Fforde book so I cannot answer but I have been looking into the "Thursday" books Smiling

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Offline
Member
Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

New series indeed.

I've read "The Eyre Affair" (2001), thought it was ok.

Robert may have been heard to refer to him as "Jasper Fraud" I believe Smiling (correct me if I'm wrong Grand Master)

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Feb 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

Odd and the Frost Giants Niel Gaiman Simple but enjoyable.Smiling :-

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture
Offline
Member
Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Re: What are you reading now?

Dr.Bob wrote:
Odd and the Frost Giants Niel Gaiman Simple but enjoyable.Smiling :-

Short and simple but I loved it, good choice Billy Smiling

chub
Offline
Member
Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

Deep Black wrote:
New series indeed.

I've read "The Eyre Affair" (2001), thought it was ok.

Robert may have been heard to refer to him as "Jasper Fraud" I believe Smiling (correct me if I'm wrong Grand Master)


Ye I think I saw that in one of the clubs mags, why though is my question?

@JD and Coke I really enjoyed the thursday series, but the jack spratt is better (though there is a wee crossover in the thursday series)

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Offline
Member
Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

chub wrote:
Ye I think I saw that in one of the clubs mags, why though is my question?

Again my fact could be ficts here but:

I believe "The Big Over Easy" is quite similar to "Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse".

It was published later but Fford claims to have written it earlier

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Offline
Member
Joined: 9 Feb 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

I'm reading 'Half of a Yellow Sun' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
It's about the civil war in Nigeria. Very good but pretty hair raising at times.

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Feb 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

Deep Black wrote:
chub wrote:
Ye I think I saw that in one of the clubs mags, why though is my question?

Again my fact could be ficts here but:

I believe "The Big Over Easy" is quite similar to "Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse".

It was published later but Fford claims to have written it earlier

And this was printed in one of his books "had it away on his toes" can't remember which one,and I don't know of any other author using that particular phrase.

theladyinthestrawhat
theladyinthestrawhat's picture
Offline
Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

I've just finished 'An Utterly Exasperated History of Modern Britain' By John O'Farrell. It was very good and puts a lot of things into a good time line if you (like me) can only remember the last 15 years or so of modern history and learnt the rest at school.

I've moved onto the Black Butterfly the apparently last Lucifer Box novel by Mark Gatiss. It's starting well, I'll keep you up to date.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Offline
Member
Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Re: What are you reading now?

I have "The Vesuvius Club" on my shelves, is it any good?