What are you reading now?

617 replies [Last post]
Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Re: What are you reading now?

Mars by Ben Bova (well he is at Worldcon this year)

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Mars was good, I enjoyed it more than Red Mars by KS Robinson.
Now onto The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross...

Dints 216
Dints 216's picture

BLACK by ted dekker. Ive also got RED & WHITE to read as its a trilogy. I am nearly 250 pages into BLACK but i can tell you its a trek and more to get this far. If this 1st book does not finish in a fantastic way i am not sure if will venture into the next book.

Has anyone else read these books ? let me know if they get better please.

LONG LIVE ROBERT RANKIN ! X

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

I just got Descent by Ken MacLeod, not started it yet but it looks good from the blurb. 

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

He was on at a talk I went to in Huddersfield recently (about Iain Banks RIP), nice guy but I've not been to convinced about his novels so far (I'm talking about McLeod here not Banks). Have you read many Billy

The Browncoat Cat (not verified)

Sorry you didn't like the book, Robert. I can't expect to please everybody.
However, I have to take issue with your comments about the presntation.  You must have been reading one of the proof copies, one which was clearly marked as a proof copy at that.  The problem with the spine was quickly sorted before the final puiblished edition was released.  Also, your memory must be playing tricks if you think I would let such a fundemental error get past the proof-reading stage.

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

I have them all, some of them can be quite forthright he has strong political views, I started with the Stone Canal which is the 2nd one.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Fished The Atrocity Archives (with the short novella Concrete Jungle) this morning. Now starting Twisted Metal by Tony Ballantyne

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

What is your verdict on the Stross one.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

It was ok (1st novel published I believe), though it seemed to be unsure what tone it was going for. Sometimes seeming to be quite light hearted & comic, sometimes going for grim & horrific. A mix that is hard to get right & whilst Stross got close it didn't quite work for me. Still enjoyable enough, I'd like to try some of his more Space Opera type stuff sometime too (not so keen on trying the Fantasy ones)