What are you reading now?

617 replies [Last post]
Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Re: What are you reading now?

Not bad ta, it's picked up a bit again now, though I am finding the talks with the "librarian" about Sumerian & old biblical stuff a bit hard going at times.

Besher & Bethke are on my list, but as there are about 1000 other books on there, I don't expect to get around to them all that soon.

Have just ordered another Ben Elton audio book from the Library

Opalfruit

a_random_me wrote:

The Lies of Locke Lamora
The Good Fairies of New York
and possibly something else in an attempt to give a bit of a variety.

Personally, I've just finished reading the updatd Bumper Book of Government Waste for my non-fiction reading, and have just picked up a stack more fiction of various types

Just read The Lies fo Locke Lamora - it's a fantastic read. Full of black humour and nasty underworld doings. Love the different plots and plottings, the overlapping stories and fantastic cliff hangers.

Opalfruit

Must concentrate when pressing buttons...

Azathoth Nyx
Azathoth Nyx's picture

Mostly my reading is limit to likes of Pharyngula. Haven't managed to find myself immersed in a book for over a year and have instead been trying to my brain cells entertained by means of podcasts.

In my podcast pile are:
http://www.nonprophetsradio.com/
http://skepticallyspeaking.com/

and the science-y stuff from the world service I'd recommend.

a_random_me

> Just read The Lies fo Locke Lamora - it's a fantastic read. Full of black humour and nasty underworld doings. Love the different plots and plottings, the overlapping stories and fantastic cliff hangers.

Very recommended. Still eagerly awaiting the third one here.

In a similar tack, The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss is another highly recommended book I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel to.

Dr Hill
Dr Hill's picture

Just finished "Hippo Eats Dwarf!" and "Elephants on Acid" both by Alex Boese. First one is on urban myths, fakes and hoaxes and the second one is about "outrageous scientific experiments" Couldn't resist titles like these could I? They are both easy to read although some of the experiments are quite appalling. just in case you are wondering, the Elephant of the title was given 297 milligrams of acid which is about three thousand times the size of a human dose. The poor bloody animal keeled over and died. Ain't we humans great.

Next on my list is "Elizabeth's Spy Master" by Robert Hutchinson, it's the biography of Francis Walsingham who was a ruthless bastard but probably did the most to save England during that period of history.

I like to vary my reading as much as I can and can heartily recommend any of the Felix Castor books by Mike Carey, they are all excellent. If you haven't read any, start with "The Devil you know". You wont regret it.

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

Opalfruit wrote:
a_random_me wrote:

The Lies of Locke Lamora
The Good Fairies of New York
and possibly something else in an attempt to give a bit of a variety.

Personally, I've just finished reading the updatd Bumper Book of Government Waste for my non-fiction reading, and have just picked up a stack more fiction of various types

Just read The Lies fo Locke Lamora - it's a fantastic read. Full of black humour and nasty underworld doings. Love the different plots and plottings, the overlapping stories and fantastic cliff hangers.

The Good Fairies of New York is a funny book it made me laugh.

a_random_me

Dr Bob - have you read his recent one - Lonely Werewolf Girl, or any of the stuff he wrote as Martin Scott?

Dr Hill - I was tempted by elephant on acid. Did you also see a similar experiment where they tried drugging up spiders to see what it did to their webs?
Here's a few quick images:
http://www.trinity.edu/jdunn/spiderdrugs.htm

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

Oh yes I have all his Thraxas ones but have not got round to getting the werewolf one and he is a member of the BFS where he had an award for the 1st one I think, but it is late and I've had a few pints so I have to check that out but it was definatley nomimated for one at least. Ps and the bloody clock is out by an hour.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Blind Faith was excellent. After an avarage start it got better & better 8/10

Now on High Society by Ben Elton (audio)

Finished Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson . It was brillient. 9/10
Also finished Triplanetary by EE Doc Smith. Pretty good 6.5/10

Now on Cats Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
& will also be starting Transition by Iain Banks