Lurkers on the public forum

68 replies [Last post]
JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture
Oh no deep black

It’s nothing like that, not to give the game away its not what she was doing but what she was wearing...

Nursewhen its nothing I would put on YouTube for public view, just a bit of a laugh in these forums. Evil

Gaz
Gaz's picture
COBOL

Quote:
Luckily I was never forced to learn COBOL

Ahhhh you missed out there Tim! I too did a "proper" Computing degree - mine was called Computing For Industry so we did all kinds of cool stuff like 68000 Assembler language, CNC machinery and real time systems... but we also had to learn Pascal and COBOL. And I thought COBOL was brilliant - absolutely perfectly designed for batch processing - i.e. take this file, read a line, interpret a line, spit out a result into another file - and once you get your head around that, it's just an absolute joy. We only did it for a term but I loved it. I found it to be a great grounding for doing file processing with PERL on Unix later in life.

Sorry, reminiscing about archaic computer systems is something I absolutely love.... sometimes I wish I'd been born 20 years earlier so I could have seen the early days of it all.... Smiling

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
I often wish I'd been borm

I often wish I'd been borm 20 earlier for classic computing stuff, classic Roack/Metal, classic books, classic everything. There isn't much classic anything now is there?

Quote:
Nursewhen its nothing I would put on YouTube for public view, just a bit of a laugh in these forums

maybe you should have just gone with a phone photo (not that I could even do that, I have no bells of whistles on my mobile)

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture
I got

I have a photo but the video is the better one Smiling

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Quote:And I thought COBOL

Quote:
And I thought COBOL was brilliant - absolutely perfectly designed for batch processing - i.e. take this file, read a line, interpret a line, spit out a result into another file - and once you get your head around that, it's just an absolute joy. We only did it for a term but I loved it. I found it to be a great grounding for doing file processing with PERL on Unix later in life.

Sorry, reminiscing about archaic computer systems is something I absolutely love.

OY you lot! Less of the archaic! I still use COBOL! (Though admittedly it's mainly Pro*COBOL now). The big utilities have these behemoth COBOL systems which work just fine. They just slap a pretty front end on the top, but it's still the old system underneath.

My ex used to punch cards, so archaic really isn't very long ago.

We're living in a society of grossly accelerated redundancy. Sometimes I really wish it would all slow down and let us appreciate what we've got instead of always looking for what's coming next.

No wonder Steampunk is getting such a following!

----------------------------oOo-----------------------
All shall reap as the sow...except the amateur gardener

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Yeah, people should enjoy

Yeah, people should enjoy what was/is good & not always want more. I personally love olde pubs, with Real Ales & Malt Whiskys. Sadly there aren't all that many of them about now, though Derby still has a fair few...

a_random_me
Phone Video

JD - not sure about which phone etc you have, but if you can get the file off the phone you can go from anything as simple as emailing it around, asking people with web-space to bung it up, or slinging it onto generic file/video sharing site of your choice, though perhaps not the latter given it's unsuitability for video.

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Re: Lurkers on the public forum

If it's just a case of loading it up into webspace, I'd be happy to host it.
----------------------------oOo-----------------------
All shall reap as the sow...except the amateur gardener