Lurkers on the public forum

68 replies [Last post]
Timmeh
Timmeh's picture
Not quite. A nybble is four

Not quite. A nibble (or nybble) is four bits, or half a byte. Cool A bit is indivisible, at least until you get into fuzzy logic.

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture
humm

Back in the 80’s they said a hard disk could not go past........wait for it..........a whole 40 mega bytes............I have to say I had one of those 286 PC’s at the time and I thought 40 MB was the bees knees.
But these days 40 meg is just your average wedding photo’s (that being only 20 photo at 2MP per pic) .....
Fuzzy logic eh....... if we need lets spark real physics...... let’s get into quantum Smiling

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Oh no! I've turned into

Oh no! I've turned into strange flavoured duck ! quark quark!

----------------------------oOo-----------------------
All shall reap as the sow...except the amateur gardener

Timmeh
Timmeh's picture
Know my wikipedia
Know my wikipedia stuff?!??!?! How about a degree in computer science (and not that airy-fairy data information system nonsense) and more years in the industry than I care to remember¿
Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Fight, fight!! Actually, I

Fight, fight!! Sticking out tongue

Actually, I didn't need to google nybble, I was told about them when I was taught COBOL.

Ah, those were the days when you had to work out a record length and decide if your variable length numeric fields were aligned to a byte.

*sings* COBOL was my first love and it will be my last...

Call it a dinosaur? How many computer languages have lasted 50 years and are STILL in use in businesses?

Timmeh
Timmeh's picture
Luckily I was never forced
Luckily I was never forced to learn COBOL, that was for the other lot on the BA in computing and information systems, not for us computer scientists. Oh and as for the "fight" it certainly wasn't my intent to incite conflict, but I must confess to being a little irritated at the new internet phenomenon of "oh no, someone's corrected something I said; they couldn't possibly have known something I didn't and therefore must've looked it up on wikipedia." It certainly wasn't my intention to start a "My knowledge of archaic computer systems is bigger than yours" pissing contest.
Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
[quoteHow about a degree in

Quote:
How about a degree in computer science (and not that airy-fairy data information system nonsense) and more years in the industry than I care to remember¿

I have a 2.2 in "Information Systems" & no years in the industry Eye-wink

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Quote:It certainly wasn't my

Quote:
It certainly wasn't my intention to start a "My knowledge of archaic computer systems is bigger than yours" pissing contest.

Chill! chill! I was kidding!

My degree was in botany and zoology combined. With a useless degree like that, computers were the only alternative to earning a pittance in conservation.

Timmeh
Timmeh's picture
All perfectly chilled here I
All perfectly chilled here I assure you. Smiling
Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Soopa

Soopa Cool