The Big Anniversary Party Memories

33 replies [Last post]
JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture
Re: The Big Anniversary Party Memories

My memories are more textual and less pictual (yes there is such a word). My primary reasons for turning up were 2 fold:

1) To see Robert Rankin for the 2nd time at his party and to meet some new people and..
2) Get some pictures for the updating of the Guide to Brentford original done by Lee Justice.

As a Lancashire lad who just travelled 250 miles on his own to be in Brentford for this one special occasion it was a bit daunting. But I met a few people who helped this square peg fit into a round hole such as Uncle Nick, Nurse When, Claire, Chantelle, Geoff, Heather K and Bungle, and of course Iain (captain fantastic).

I have 2 great memories from the day/night, finding Robert Rankin (get this) without a pen to sign my books! Robert Rankin with no pen let it never happen again....

And meeting on Saturday afternoon Uncle Nick and Nursewhen on the Butts estate asking me where the Brentford allotments were. Both of them tried to locate the allotments from the Guide to Brentford they had seen that day. I could not point them in the correct direction and I went off in search of them on my own. I did find them but they were locked behind 2 secure gates and I gave up and made my way back to the road only to find a chap and his son passing me with a wheel barrow and a bucket. I set off after them on a stealth follow and lo and behold they went to the allotments. The older guy jumped back in surprise as I sprung out of a bush asking if these where the allotments of Brentford, to which he confirmed they were and after explaining my random love of this particular allotment he stated “yes I have heard of Robert Rankin, but I did not know my allotments were in his book” the guy let me take pictures of this hollowed place some of which are here with other pics...

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Nice, what's going on in the last 2 pics?

Uncle Nick

Ah ha! Nursewhen and myself *did* find the allotments - just from the other side of the canal basin (which is in the background of your shots) Smiling
And the odd pictures? Tea duelling, my dear sir! Herr Döktor riding his engine of glory over Nursewhen in a most ungentlemanly manner...

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

That should be in the olympics

Uncle Nick

Here's a small collection of badly exposed, ill composed and blurry shots Smiling

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

Uncle Nick wrote:

Herr Döktor riding his engine of glory over Nursewhen in a most ungentlemanly manner...

And evidence that I did in fact have my corset on upside down. One should never rush Victorian dressing!

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

JD and Coke wrote:
And meeting on Saturday afternoon Uncle Nick and Nursewhen on the Butts estate asking me where the Brentford allotments were. Both of them tried to locate the allotments from the Guide to Brentford they had seen that day. I could not point them in the correct direction and I went off in search of them on my own. I did find them but they were locked behind 2 secure gates

Ah, we did press our nose against a set of locked gates but were intimidated by the barbed wire and conning tower.

a_random_me

If I can still find it I might acrually have a genuine piece of allotments barbed wire.

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

a_random_me wrote:

If I can still find it I might acrually have a genuine piece of allotments barbed wire.

You VANDAL!  Jawdropping!

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

I think it was more theft than vandalism