R.I.P. DACON

44 replies [Last post]
Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture
Re: R.I.P. DACON

Grand Master wrote:
I will be having a meeting with Ian some time soon to discuss what future, if any, this club has. I fear perhaps its days are numbered.
Your thoughts?

Ack! I've only just read this properly!
Surely not the club too!
*Wails*

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture

Quote:
Ack! I've only just read this properly! Surely not the club too! *Wails*

Not whilst Graham and I have anything to do with it:)

Uncle Nick

A stiff drink and a rub down for the Sproutmeister! *snaps fingers*
We'll have him on the bright side about this in no time...

Dr Hill
Dr Hill's picture

captain.fantastic wrote:
Quote:
Ack! I've only just read this properly! Surely not the club too! *Wails*

Not whilst Graham and I have anything to do with it

Dacon may have sadly bit the dust, but I have had far too many great times and met far too many wonderful people to ever want this to end, so like Ian said not while we have any thing to do with it!

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

Dr Hill wrote:
I have had far too many great times and met far too many wonderful people to ever want this to end

My thoughts exactly Smiling

Em n D

Oh such sobering thoughts... Sad
If it helps, the Red Dwarf fan club convention has also been postponed due to lack of interest but there is no suggestion there that the fan club itself's days are numbered. It certainly is a sign of the times, with everyone's finance belts tighter than ever.
Keep your chin up, just think on a little smaller (and cheaper) scale for the time being to tide us through these trying times. We WILL survive! (won't we?) Shocked
Hey ho and all that! x

reddragon70
reddragon70's picture

Things such as a basic meet up event may be a better way to go for the moment. No frills, just a pub, some sprouty peeps, Robert if has time to be there and a shed loads of good beer. Do we really need anything more? Unless it is Rachel on steel pans of course.... If nothing else it keeps costs down.

Personally I love going to cons, but my job gets in the way a lot. Trains run all year round and I have to drive em. I swore a blood oath or something to the Cthonian Scotrail management or suchlike. So they own my soul and a fair amount of my time.

Lord Bungle

Its a gutter but as that weekend has been booked by Heather and Myself for Ranking fun we shall endevor to pop up what ever goes on on this day. If worse comes to worse we can allways have a knees up on a steam train in Alton and then a Dr Hill talk on Sweet Fanny Adams (also of Alton). washed down with many pints from the tripple f brewery Smiling

David.U

Really bad news on the convention front, I think organizing something else for the day would be a great idea, Off the top of my head I know Bletchly park is open, has rooms to shelter in and is quite interesting in its own right so could be a venue for an outing?
David

Grand Master

Remember, a couple of weeks before is the enormous Steampunk event in Lincoln (10th/11th/12th Sept). I will be attending that and I can recommend it for a WONDERFUL weekend. Assuming Steampunk is your thing. Check it out, it's at The Asylum. Someone can probably post up a link here. I will have an exhibition of my cover art there and will launch the new book there also.