Membership Status

10 replies [Last post]
Gaz
Gaz's picture

Is there any way to indicate on people's forum posts whether they're a fully paid up club member or just able to access the public forums? Would be useful so you know whether someone asking something in the Public area has access to the members areas, as demonstrated in a recent thread about the Magpie.

As far as I can tell it's not even something you can determine by looking at someone's profile.

Timmeh
Timmeh's picture
Re: Membership Status

This is a fine idea.

Perhaps one of these Member of the Order under the profile pic with some suitable alt text?

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

How about a subliminal message 'MUST JOIN CLUB NOW' flashing on all their posts? Evil

Timmeh
Timmeh's picture

Another thought on this: how about a message when non-members directed to a members only page that says more than just "permission denied", but also tells them that their lack of membership is why they can't see it, and contains a link to the membership page? Or does it do that already?

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

It probably doesn't help that the 'join now' button on the top right of the page goes to a set to T shirts and magazines for sale and Join the Club is on page 2.

In addition, I think there are new people coming here who aren't aware that creating an account and joining the club aren't the same thing. Is there anything when creating an account that tells them that there could be more goodies to come if they buy membership and sending them to the membership page?

All I could see on the create an account page is an invitation to sign up for the newsletter.

In fact, I think the only way newbies know that they're not looking at the whole site is by reading the posting rule sticky at the top of the public forum and reading the Welcome bit on the home page.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

I think you might be on to something there Helen. Someone give that gal a sprout

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

Nom nom nom *burp*

Gaz
Gaz's picture

OK, so in addition to paid members having a little golden sprout shown in their profile and next to their posts (great idea), it sounds like non-paid members need to have something in their profile that says something like "Basic Member", with a "Click here to Upgrade to Full Membership" link that takes them somewhere useful.

lostcarpark
lostcarpark's picture

These are excellent ideas! I'm off to Novacon in the morning, but will start looking at how they can be done next week. I already was thinking of a member "badge", but the other ideas, particularly telling non-members to join to see what they're missing, would make things work a lot better.

Thanks,

Always good to hear your suggestions.

James

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

Have fun

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture

All great suggestions guys, over to James who has already picked up on this:)