Why only one E Book ?

15 replies [Last post]
publicenergy
publicenergy's picture
Re: Why only one E Book ?

There's an interview with the Kindle big cheese in the LA Times

Quote:
Publishers kicked up quite a fuss about digital book prices being too low. Can you actually grow the overall business by shrinking prices?

We think digital books should cost somewhat less than their print counterparts. When we controlled the pricing, we built the business around $9.99. A small group of publishers have taken control of their pricing, and they've raised the prices. It's not surprising that publishers who are raising prices are losing market share relative to publishers who decided to keep prices low. Customers aren't stupid. Ultimately, the market will drive prices.

The whole thing is here:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amazon-kindle-qanda-20101229,0,3286073.story

The price fixing has definitely changed my habits - when I first got the kindle I wouldn't really think that hard about whether to buy a book or not - the ebook was generally slightly cheaper than the paperback. Luckily I've got a decent size queue to keep me going for a while - and there are still books that haven't had the price hike.

Now I'm bookmarking the overpriced ones in the hope that they'll go down in price one day when they realise nobody is buying them any more.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

You can't beat a charity shop

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

2 weeks isn't very long esp if you can't then do it again,
Bit pointless really

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

Agreed. It must be a marketing ploy, giving a person 2 weeks to read what they can then having to buy the book to finish it. Puzzled