Why only one E Book ?

15 replies [Last post]
i_flung_dung

Why can I find only one book in E format (Amazon have Necrophenia avaliable for European customers)
who do I have to annoy for this terrible ommision?

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture
Re: Why only one E Book ?

3 here:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/search/ebooks/robert+rankin/0/4294964587/

all epub format, not sure if the drm works outside the UK Smiling

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Bah this ebook thing'll never take off

It'll go the same way as MP3s, I'll stick with the grammer phone & paper books

Uncle Nick

Deep Black wrote:
It'll go the same way as MP3s
You mean it will pass into gernericism (if that's a word) with e-book compatibility shoveled into anything slightly connected with words? Along with rampant piracy, add-on tools for current e-readers to rip and convert existing books, and the British Library vowing to bring to justice the founders of allbooks.ru?

Eye-wink

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Something like that.

No good will come of it all, mark my words. Go on start marking them...

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture
Deep Black wrote:
Bah this ebook thing'll never take off It'll go the same way as MP3s, I'll stick with the grammer phone & paper books
Luddite Eye-wink
Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Of course I should have written "gramophone"

Uncle Nick

Deep Black wrote:
No good will come of it all, mark my words. Go on start marking them...
3/10, see me after class?

publicenergy
publicenergy's picture

There are two Kindle books available now! Eye-wink

I haven't bought Necrophenia yet though - unfortunately the publisher has fixed the price to be above that of the hardback which seems like a rip off to me.

I'd love for more of Robert's books to be available like this - and hopefully with prices comparable to a paperback. Given that the Kindle has become Amazon's biggest selling product ever, it'd be smart to be selling your books there (and other e-book stores for that matter).

I think if the e-book prices were a bit less than hardbacks at the time of hardback launch and then went down to a bit less than paperback when that launched, that'd be fair - you'd still pay a premium for early access - with e-books you are getting something protected that you can't lend to people, so it has less use than a physical book and you can't sell it on afterwards - so I'd expect them to be priced less than a more flexible product.

The publishers greed in fixing the prices so high is just going to push people toward obtaining them illegally though, and it's stopping me buying any like that.

Regardless, if Robert's books became available on Kindle at reasonable prices, I'd probably buy them even though I have various hardbacks and paperbacks, just for the convenience and searchability - as well as an excuse to read them all again Smiling

lostcarpark
lostcarpark's picture

I agree with you on pricing. Some eBooks are quite reasonable now, but many are more than hardback prices - and considering hardbacks often sell well below RRP, it's a strong disincentive. And while retailers can discount the paper books as much as they like, they are often blocked from discounting eBooks.

I think people were expecting eBooks to cost pennies because there's no cost of printing, but in reality the cost of printing is a very small factor in the price of paper books. It was also assumed that electronic distribution would have almost no cost, and sadly this is not the case.

While I like reading eBooks, I still like to own real books (and eBooks help keep the paper book in pristine condition), so I would like to see publishers/retailers offer a discounted price for buying the paper edition and eBook together. I suspect there are a lot of people who would go for this.

James

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

So if it's not the cost of printing & distribution then where is all the money from e-sales going? Not the author I suspect