What are you reading now?

617 replies [Last post]
Rachie_D
Re: What are you reading now?

Scouse Elvis wrote:
Hi There y'all. Long time no post from me sorry, been busy with family and 'stuff'

I'm not reading anything at the moment! I gave up smoking about 3 months ago and now can not read a book!!! Just don't appear to have the concentration anymo...

Hi Darren
Good to hear from ya! Hope you're ok. Smiling

Boggwoppit
Boggwoppit's picture

Hi Darren welcome back.

As for books I seem to nod off after two pages these days but that's what a 12 week old baby does for you, that and doing your online shopping at ASDA at 2 in the morning while feeding the baby. (what is needed is a yawning smilie for us knackerd folk)

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

Reading 'God Emperor of Didcot' by Toby Frost. It's a spoof on Dune, the British empire and the necessity of tea.
Very funny, but I prereferred his first one, I thought it flowed better.

Gaz
Gaz's picture

What ho Daz, nice to see you back..... belated happy birthday for Saturday....

Currently not reading anything coz I'm preparing for the new Hitchhikers book to plop onto the mat in roughly 7 days time....

Oh and Nurse - Stick with the Didcot one, it gets better towards the end. And the 3rd book (Wrath of the Lemming Men) is worth a read too.

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

Gaz wrote:
Oh and Nurse - Stick with the Didcot one, it gets better towards the end. And the 3rd book (Wrath of the Lemming Men) is worth a read too.

Oh I'm enjoying it, I just enjoyed the first one more.
I shall certainly read the third since I bought all three and had them signed at the Asylum.

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture

Unseen Academicals very funny so far laugh out loud stuff.

Gaz
Gaz's picture

Nursewhen wrote:
Gaz wrote:

Oh I'm enjoying it, I just enjoyed the first one more.
I shall certainly read the third since I bought all three and had them signed at the Asylum.

I was the other way round - I liked the first one enough to buy the others, but I liked the 2nd one better than the 1st... I found the pace was much better since the main characters were already established. The 3rd one just carries on in pretty much the same vein as the 2nd.

Did you ask him if he was writing any more?

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

Gaz wrote:
I was the other way round - I liked the first one enough to buy the others, but I liked the 2nd one better than the 1st... I found the pace was much better since the main characters were already established. The 3rd one just carries on in pretty much the same vein as the 2nd.

Did you ask him if he was writing any more?

The first one had me hooting with all the innuendos and I loved Captain Smith's complete inability to work out how to woo a woman who was desperately trying to throw herself at him.

Although Didcot is faster paced (and very enjoyable), I'm not having quite so many laugh out loud moments.

He said he's got ideas for at least 3 more Smiths and he's working on a serious revenge story set in the renaissance period with lots of clockwork and flying machines.

Gaz
Gaz's picture

Nursewhen wrote:
He said he's got ideas for at least 3 more Smiths and he's working on a serious revenge story set in the renaissance period with lots of clockwork and flying machines.

Huzzah!

captain.fantastic
captain.fantastic's picture

Dr.Bob wrote:
Unseen Academicals very funny so far laugh out loud stuff. [url=http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php][img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing013.gif[/img][/url]

Just about to go wallow in a bath and finish this - Terry may not be up to pressing the keys on his keyboard very profficiently (as he mentions in the dedications) but still as sharp as ever when it comes to clever satire. It has made me chuckle more than once and as you all know I am a miserable old bastard;)