Game World - J.V. Gallagher

11 replies [Last post]
Burnttoast

Hi Guys,

Been a big RR fan for years and have most of his books, recently a friend recommended I read 'Game World' by J V Gallagher because I was into weird stuff and she thought i'd like it.
I read it and while it bares no resemblance to any of RR's work it does read very much like a Rankin book to me.  The first page of the book reads as follows:-

'J.V. Gallagher has written several novels under a variety of pseudonyms.  This is his first fantasy novel and draws heavily on the authors own experience...'

So just wondering if anyone has read it and what they thought on the possible RR connection.
thanks

Dr.Bob
Dr.Bob's picture
Re: Game World - J.V. Gallagher

Seems to be out of pint, Pub 1993 and it was quite hard to trace and no reviews.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Not heard of him, I'll keep an eye out though.

Have you tried any Flann O'Brien?
The 3rd Policeman & At Swim Two Birds are the best

Nursewhen
Nursewhen's picture

Dr.Bob wrote:

Seems to be out of pint, Pub 1993 and it was quite hard to trace and no reviews.

Were you distracted when you wrote that or thinking of large? Laughing out loud

Burnttoast

Thanks for the input guys, I had no more luck trying to find out anything abiout the book or it's author either.  Still I highly recommend giving it a go if you can track down a copy.
I've not read any Flann yet but Im sure to get some book tokens for chrimbo so I'll splash out on a couple.

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

I have to say I’m intrigued by this, I’ve just ordered a copy, I found the following, not much use tho!

GALLAGHER, J. V.

Gameworld (Headline 0-7472-3978-9, Feb ’93 [Jan ’93], £4.99, 374pp, pb, cover by Bill Gregory) Humorous fantasy novel about a fantasy gamer who is forced to inhabit the worlds of the games he plays. The book is copyrighted in the name of Simon Fowler.

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture
Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

My copy just fell through the letterbox today.

It may have to wait a wee while though as I'm only 4 chapters into the 600 page epic - "Fall of Hyperion"

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Just started Gameworld today

Deep Black
Deep Black's picture

Finished it

JD and Coke
JD and Coke's picture

And the verdict?